Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Simple Dessert - Apple Crisp

Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  For dessert, I am making a simple apple crisp.  It is yummy, seasonal, and requires few ingredients.

I used local apples my husband picked up from the Farmer's Market today.  He told the man at the apple stand that I was making apple crisp, and the man loaded Chris's bag with "the perfect apples".  I believe they are Cortland apples.  They are rather tart, but that is what you are looking for in an apple when you are making a dessert with them.

The first step is quite tedious.  Peel, core and cut up the apples.  Normally, I don't like the use of kitchen gadgets, but after spending over an hour coring, peeling and quartering apples for apple butter I made earlier in the year, I decided to give this peeler a shot.  After all, it is still relatively simple in it's design.

First, I clamped the peeler to the table and stuck the apple on the prongs.


Then, I just turned the handle, and the apple was peeled and cored.



Now the apple is peeled and cored.  All I have to do is cut it up.


You can see the slices that it makes.  I still cut the apple up more before putting it in the pan.


Look, MA! No core!  I thought that was pretty neat.


As I go, I put all of the apples into my baking dish.  I don't grease the dish.  Remember, this is simple.  I then add a tablespoon or two of sugar.  Organic. 



Sprinkle some cinnamon over it.  If you really like cinnamon, use a lot.  It's really about what you like here.  Sprinkle some vanilla extract (please, I beg you, use the real stuff).  Not too much.  About a teaspoon.


Dot with butter.  I think I used about 2 tablespoons here.  I don't know why I did it.  I think because that is how my mom does it?


Now, we make the stuff that turns this from just baked apples to apple crisp.  The Crisp!!

I took about 6 Tablespoons of butter, 


Add some cinnamon, and about a half of a cup of all purpose flour.  (organic)


I add about that much salt.  (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)  It's really hard to mess this up.


Now add about 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of sugar.  The fun part is coming up!!


Get your hands in there an mash it up.  Get all the ingredients well combined with the flour.


It should look like this when it's done.


Sprinkle that on top of your apples and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until it's nicely browned.


Take out of the oven and enjoy the yummy tastes in your mouth and smells in your house!








No comments:

Post a Comment