Sunday, May 11, 2014

Make Your Own Watering Bulb

Recently, my mom bought me several plants for my birthday.  Two of these plants are Stevia, the natural herbal sweetener.  Stevia is hardy until 10 degrees F.  Temperatures any lower than that will kill the plant.  So I potted it.  My two stevia plants are living on my front porch.  I will bring them in when the weather becomes cold.

Chances are, as Spring turns to Summer, I may forget to water these awesome herbs.  So I thought a watering bulb would be a good idea.  You fill it with water, turn it upside down and it provides your potted plants a continuous amount of water.  The set it and forget it of plant care.

Aqua Globes AG011706 Glass Plant Watering Bulbs, 2-Pack

While I appreciate the ingenuity of this product, I don't spend money on things like that.  I will, however, steal their general idea.  I used something we happened to have around the house: a beer bottle.  I filled the beer bottle up with water, and sunk the neck into the dirt of the Stevia's pot.



If you have bigger pots, a wine bottle would also work for this.  I'm sure you could set these up in the garden, but that seems like a lot of work and maintenance and not really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment