Monday, April 14, 2014

Simple Smoothie Recipe

Smoothies are a great way to get in your veggies, pro-biotics and minerals.  They are yummy, easy and even kids like them (well, mine does anyway).

Some basics for a smoothie are:

A blender:  I have a cheapo one.  I regret buying the cheapo one, and wish I would have purchased one that was a bit more sturdy, but it works.



Some greens:  This is an easy way to add greens to your diet.  You don't taste them, but they still pack a great nutritional wallop.  I use the really nutrient dense ones, such as kale or spinach.  You can use a lot.  I add 2 handfuls.



Frozen berries: maybe a cup.  This replaces any ice cubes you may otherwise have used and adds antioxidants and yumminess.



A dairy base: milk, kefir, Homemade Yogurt.  Some folks enjoy using almond or coconut milk.  That works as well, but I usually use milk and yogurt.  These ingredients are cheap, plentiful and local.  I used milk and yogurt, but use what makes you happiest.

Banana: I use one banana to give my smoothie a creamy consistency and sweetness.  I probably could have gone without this, as the yogurt already gives the drink a nice texture.



Finally, I add one tablespoon of black strap molasses.  This stuff packs a mineral punch, adds sweetness and a deeper flavor.  The molasses has calcium, iron and other trace minerals.



Now, blend it, pour,



and ENJOY!


This is a base that can be changed.  Remove the berries, the banana and molasses and add frozen peaches, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup.  This is a great healthy treat that you can have as a snack or meal.  YUM!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment